A Simple Guide to Coimbatore International Airport
Coimbatore is one of the major cities in Tamil Nadu, home to close to 2 million people. The town houses thousands of industries- small, medium, and large – which has contributed significantly to its quick economic development in recent years. Coimbatore is popularly known as the “Manchester of South India” mainly because of its sought-after textile industry that is powered by the abundance of cotton fields.
Traveling to Coimbatore locally is best done by road. The scenery along the way is beautiful, and the Tamil Nadu highway network in one of the best in the country. People travel here to experience the authentic South Indian culture, and also to shop! Shopping in Coimbatore is quite famous, with even some of the biggest brands in the world, importing their products from here due to their excellent quality and reasonable prices.
The Coimbatore International Airport
Coimbatore International Airport sees steady daily traffic. It is located at Peelamedu, which is about 15 km from the city’s center. In 1940, this same airstrip was used as a civil aerodrome, and the Indian Airlines operated from here. It was on 2nd October 2012, when the airport was given the status of international by the government in power then.
Almost all major airlines, both national and international, land and take off from this airport. International flights to Sri Lanka, Singapore, and Sharjah are some of the most frequent operating ones. As of 2015, this airport was the 15th largest in the country, and 18th in terms of passenger footfall. Since there are so many businesses and industries operating in Coimbatore, many business travelers can be seen flying in and out of the city.
Interesting Facts about Coimbatore International Airport
This airport isn’t the largest in the area when compared to other airports in the country; however, it has always maintained standards and quality of service.
Here are some interesting facts about the Coimbatore International Airport:
- It was the first airport in the whole country to run its utility grid system using only solar-generated power.
- Air Carnival, a privately-run airline, uses Coimbatore International Airport as its hub.
- It is the second largest airport in the state of Tamil Nadu, after Chennai International Airport
- In terms of the amount of cargo handled, it is the 15th largest in the country.
- There are 24 hours services of cabs and auto rickshaws available to and from the airport.
- The airport has a single runway, which stretches for a total of 9,760 feet, and can accommodate larger aircraft.
Things to do near Coimbatore International Airport
For anyone who wants to spend some time or see new places around the airport, here’s a list of things to do:
- Just 4 km from the airport is the Fun Mall in Peelamedu. Here, one can shop, eat, and relax, or even watch a movie at the Fun Cinemas.
- About 10 km away is the Bike & Barrel lounge, which is great for a few drinks and delicious snacks.
- For adventure seekers, the Kovai Kondattam Amusement Park isn’t too far away either. There are many exciting rides to try out, and it’s the perfect spot for families.
- For a relaxing stay option that is closer to the Coimbatore International Airport, the Annamalai Hotel is a great choice, with all modern amenities and comfort.
Coimbatore is a wonderful little city that has a lot to offer. With the services of the Coimbatore International Airport, traveling here and back becomes easy and convenient. In the future, developments to the facilities, infrastructure, and services of the airport are very likely, and it will definitely open up opportunities for the airport to cater to more countries around the world.